My Sewing Studio

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Polymer Clay Tac Pin

A friend's mention of jewelry made with a quilting design reminded me of a little tac pin a vendor gave me at the AQS Quilt Show in Grand Rapids, Michigan, back in 2013.

The lady, Jennifer Patterson, makes each piece of jewelry from clay, with a process almost like piecing a quilt.  On her website is a short video clip showing how she does it:

I went to take a picture of my pin, but it’s not where I generally put it – which means it’s still on the lapel of the suit on which I last wore it.  I’ll take a picture the next time that suit floats to the surface.  ðŸ˜‰  (I use my clothes on a rotating basis:  hang them on the left, retrieve them from the right.)

M pin is so tiny (about half an inch square), it’s hard to believe the lady actually put each color together as a separate piece.  I had originally thought the pieces were painted – but no, she presses long shaped and colored pieces together in a long tube, then slices it.  Well, you can see what I mean on the video on her webpage. 

The design on my pin is the old-fashioned flower basket pattern, with lots of HSTs.  It’s green and white.  Pretty – but one of my least favorite colors, and right there in front of my nose was another little tac pin done with a Lemoyne star pattern in burgundy, cream, and navy.  I wanted that one!!!!!

But the man was giving me the pin, and my Mama taught me to be appreciative and polite, and I certainly didn’t want her turning in her grave, now did I?


Yeah, I could’ve bought it... but we were a long ways from home, making a vacation of our trip to the quilt show, with a long ways yet to go.  And we were counting every penny.  One would hate to spend the last night mopping a truck stop just to earn enough money for the last tank of fuel to get one home, wouldn’t one?  :-O

*     *     *

Okay, I couldn’t stand it any longer, and had to go look for my tac pin.  Hmmm...  it’s green, so I would put it on a suit lapel it would coordinate with ...  I peered into my closet, spotted a dark navy/gray/charcoal/purple plaid suit with a dark teal thread running through it, pulled it out a bit – and sho’ ’nuff, there was the pin.

So here are photos of it:




1 comment:

  1. It is so pretty! You find the neatest things!
    Cal

    ReplyDelete