My Sewing Studio

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Seven More Embroidered Tea Towels

My embroidery machine locked up again shortly after I started using it earlier today.  I took it apart... brushed, oiled, and restarted it.  It stitched for a while before locking up again.  I called the Bernina Store in Omaha, and the lady told me about another place under the throat plate -- between presser foot and bobbin -- to look for lint.  I got it open, finally, and found there a LOT of lint.  I brushed it out and asked where to oil it; one must be careful not to get oil on any of the electronics.  The lady gave me careful instructions, and soon the machine was moving again.  I oiled it a little more after hanging up, ran it slowly for a bit, then faster... and finally went back to the embroidery design that had gotten stymied.  It stitched it out like magic -- and it's been doing great ever since.  Hasn't broken as many threads as usual, either, and it sounds better, too.

They really should give people instructions for cleaning and oiling inside these computerized machines, instead of just telling them to take the machines to a Bernina tech at least once a year, and more often if they sew like some of us do.  It's sometimes difficult to get to a tech -- it's a two-hour trip each way, for me -- and furthermore, they sometimes charge an arm and a leg.

I'm glad I now know how to take my machine apart and clean and oil it well.

Because the machine is working so nicely, not even breaking threads very often, I’ve finished wrapping and bagging gifts, except for one or two things.

The last two or three designs were gaudier than I expected them to be, on account of not following the suggested coloring.  I think ... they’re for Victoria!  :-D

















No comments:

Post a Comment