My Sewing Studio

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Disappearing Nine-Patch Mug Rug

Today I decided to join in the Quilt-Along going on in the online Cyber Quilters group.  Several ladies made entire, lovely quilts.  I made an odd little mug rug that's supposed to match this plaid mug.  This will be a Christmas gift for a friend, and I will add packets of tea, coffee, or hot chocolate to the set, and perhaps a chocolate stirring spoon.

Here are the mugs I've collected so far (I need about two dozen more):


Here is the D9P (Disappearing Nine-Patch) block, first step.  
The squares are cut at 4" x 5".

Here it is after the next step -- I cut it apart, then sewed it back together again.  I cut the block one more time horizontally, since it needs to be rectangular, rather than square.

Now to put some fancy stitches on the seams to make it look sort of crazy-quiltish... then some embroidery... then add batting and backing... and, finally, sew on the binding.  I should have used batting with less loft; the rug is too puffy.



Close-up of embroidered teacup


Embroidered teacup close-up



Back

1 comment:

  1. I think your mugs with mug rugs are such a wonderful gift. I keep wanting to do the same, but just haven't gotten to it, yet. :)

    ReplyDelete