My Sewing Studio

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Mini Log Cabin Binoculars Case

My binoculars needed a new case. So today I measured the binoculars and started cutting and sewing. 


I used a miniature log cabin pattern for the front.

Larry, upon looking at that case, asked why I didn’t want him to carry my binoculars for me anymore.  heh heh  Guess he doesn't want to carry a flowery purple case?  


It wasn’t difficult; only the black outline around the five mini blocks was a wee bit tricky, as I used the partial-seam method to get it outlined. 


There are two layers of batting. The flap was sewn on later and I put tucks on the sides to make it fit properly. Now my case needs new binoculars! 



Actually, though my binoculars weren’t horribly expensive when I got them, they’re nice ones, and work just fine. They magnify and pull in light and color better than my big Canon lens. I can think of all sorts of other things I’d drool over before I drooled over new binoculars!


Here’s an excerpt from June 24, 1994, when I bought the binoculars (looks like they’re 19 years old):

Today I splurged and bought a good pair of binoculars, a 10x50 wide-angle with completely stabilized and coated optics.  Bob, oh boy, are they ever nifty!  After supper, we drove out to Lake Babcock to try them out watching the birds doing their before-bedtime calisthenics.
As we gazed out over the rippling water, a dazzling pink, lavender, and orange in the light of the setting sun, Lydia, age 3, asked, “Where are all the bad hawks?”  (Babcock = bad hawk.)
Well, we arrived at a certain vantage point between tree and lake, and the place was absolutely teeming with wildlife, so we parked and alit.  The children spotted the playground toys; and, with loud war whoops of joy, were off and running.  Three were on the swings:  eeeeEEE!  eeeeEEE!  eeeeEEE!  Two were on the merry-go-round:  screeeee--screeeee!  Two were on the slippery slide which wasn’t, so they had to use their feet to pull themselves down:  Thuddity BOOM Thuddity BOOM Thuddity BOOM.  One kid proceeded to run up the slide:  BOOOM BOOOM BOOOM BOOOM BOOOM BOOOM!!!
And all this was accompanied by many squeals and shrieks of delight, which is why I believe we will soon be hearing reports from Africa, Singapore, Tokyo, and such like, of sightings of bewildered American birds.  So much for trying out the new binoculars.

*        *        *


No comments:

Post a Comment