My Sewing Studio

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Rag-Shag Rug Complete

It's all done!  Aaron's rug is done.  I'll give it to him for his birthday April 24.
 
Close-ups of the sewing of the little pleats in each rectangle:



A couple rows of red/black/beige plaid put on: 



Brown/beige plaid added -- this was the last piece of the suit-quality doubleknit I bought when I was 17 to make a three-piece western suit for Larry. 
 
The pants and the yokes on the jacket were plain brown. 
 
{Whether you believe it or not, that suit was quite stylish. 
But that was then.}
 
After Larry outgrew the suit (that's one of the hazards of making your future husband a suit when he's only 17--he outgrows it), I took it apart, recut it, and made it into a little suit for Teddy when he was 7 or 8. 
 
One of his little boys wore it to church not too long ago.






And, with the last rows of not-exactly-paisley mahogany/beige knit ...
the rug is DONE!  It measures 28" x 33".



I attached a burlap backing to the rug, serging the edges of denim
and burlap together when there were still about three rows of doubleknit to put on.
 
Hmmm...  did I just foil the easy wash-and-dry qualities of this rug?
Now it will probably have to be hung to dry,
or the burlap will shrink beyond recognition.
 
Why did I do that?
 
Answer:  Because it was there.



Okay, here's a link I might need:  How to Clean Burlap







No comments:

Post a Comment